From: Simon <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VPS has issues emerging everything
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 19:16:38
1 Hi all, thanks for all your help. I'll try to reply to everything, but
2 first let me annouce the issue is now resolved and gentoo was not at fault.
3
4 The virtual HD is physically on a raid (unknown config). Mark, the sector
5 size issue you mention, does it have to do with aligning real HD sectors
6 with filesystem sectors (so that stuff like read-ahead will get
7 no-more-no-less than what the kernel wants)? I've read about this kind of
8 setup when I was interested in RAID long ago... Now that I know my hd is
9 actually on a raid, maybe i could benefit some I/O performance improvements
10 by tuning this a bit!
11
12 Anyway, I was told by the support team that another user on the same
13 physical machine (remember it's a xen VPS) was doing I/O intensive stuff
14 which could have "I/O starved" my system. I don't understand how starving
15 or even doing some kind of DoS attack could lead to a complete freeze on the
16 console, but eh... They offered to migrate my system to another physical
17 machine, and after that... I was able to perform a complete 'emerge -e
18 system' in one shot without a scratch, I even did it with --jobs=2 and
19 MAKEOPTS="-j4". After that, I started a complete "emerge --keep-going
20 --jobs=2 world" with MAKEOPTS="-j8"... (i got 4 cores: dual xeon 2Ghz)
21
22 This last emerge is still going on as I write this and is emerging pkg 522
23 of 620 !! And there were no build errors so far...
24
25 It's emerging glibc at the moment, so once the big emerge is finished, I'll
26 probably recompile all pkgs that depend on glibc. I believe glibc was
27 actually updated during my very initial update on monday and I haven't come
28 to do that... but I guess everything will go smoothly from here.
29
30 Thanks again for all your help guys!
31 Simon
32