From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VPS has issues emerging everything
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 21:11:11
1 Glad you have a root cause/solution.
2
3 On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Simon <turner25@×××××.com> wrote:
4 <SNIP>
5 > The virtual HD is physically on a raid (unknown config).  Mark, the sector
6 > size issue you mention, does it have to do with aligning real HD sectors
7 > with filesystem sectors (so that stuff like read-ahead will get
8 > no-more-no-less than what the kernel wants)?  I've read about this kind of
9 > setup when I was interested in RAID long ago...  Now that I know my hd is
10 > actually on a raid, maybe i could benefit some I/O performance improvements
11 > by tuning this a bit!
14 As it's RAID underneath it's likely set up correctly. The issue I had
15 in mind was the disk being a 4K/sector disk but the person who built
16 the partition not knowing to align the partition to a 4K boundary.
17 That can cause a _huge_ slowdown.
18
19 I doubt that's the case here. As this is a hosting service they likely
20 know what they are doing in that area, and if it wasn't done correctly
21 you would have noticed it before I think.
22
23 > Anyway, I was told by the support team that another user on the same
24 > physical machine (remember it's a xen VPS) was doing I/O intensive stuff
25 > which could have "I/O starved" my system.  I don't understand how starving
26 > or even doing some kind of DoS attack could lead to a complete freeze on the
27 > console, but eh...
28
29 Makes sense actually. The other guy took all the disk I/O leaving you
30 with none. If you can't get to the disk then you cannot read ebuilds
31 or write compiled code, or at least not fast.
32
33 > They offered to migrate my system to another physical
34 > machine, and after that...  I was able to perform a complete 'emerge -e
35 > system' in one shot without a scratch, I even did it with --jobs=2 and
36 > MAKEOPTS="-j4".  After that, I started a complete "emerge --keep-going
37 > --jobs=2 world" with MAKEOPTS="-j8"...  (i got 4 cores:  dual xeon 2Ghz)
40 So now you're in good shape...until some user on the new system starts
41 hogging all the disk I/O and holds you up again.
42
43 > This last emerge is still going on as I write this and is emerging pkg 522
44 > of 620 !!  And there were no build errors so far...
45 >
46 > It's emerging glibc at the moment, so once the big emerge is finished, I'll
47 > probably recompile all pkgs that depend on glibc.  I believe glibc was
48 > actually updated during my very initial update on monday and I haven't come
49 > to do that...  but I guess everything will go smoothly from here.
50 >
51 > Thanks again for all your help guys!
52 >   Simon
53
54 Good that you got to the root of the problem.
55
56 Good luck,
57 Mark