From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev update and persistent net rules changes
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 16:05:27
1 On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 09:07:00 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
2
3 > Not to mention the fact that this final/current seemingly complete
4 > document was way, way too late for the many people who ended up with
5 > totally broken systems, and *that* is what caused all of the 'hysteria
6 > and mob-think' you so condescendingly speak of.
7
8 This time the news was released before the update became available,
9 although for something as potentially system-breaking as this, the gap
10 should have been several days larger IMO.
11
12 > So, again, I would really, really like a very simple answer as to the
13 > *best* way to retain the old way that is least likely to cause problems
14 > down the road (ie, if/when udev is subsumed by systemd). Currently I
15 > count 3 different ways
16
17 The no.ifrename kernel option mentioned in the news item.
18
19 > Or, as an alternative, *how* to switch to eudev (their web page does
20 > *not* have simple/precise instructions on how to switch, only a
21 > description of what it is) - ie, do I just emerge -C udev && emerge -C
22 > virtual/udev && emerge eudev? Or is there more to it?
23
24 quickpkg udev && emerge -Ca udev && emerge -1a eudev
25
26 Don't try removing virtual/udev, that is depended on by several packages
27 (and probably system) but is satisfied by eudev. The only gotcha I found
28 is that the USE flags for eudev must match those for eudev, so if you have
29 anything udev-related in /etc/portage/package.use, make sure it applies
30 to eudev too.
34 Neil Bothwick
35
36 Did you hear about the blind prostitute? You have to hand it to her.