From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-user] Updating portage, continued
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2019 22:31:23
1 On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 21:56:14 +0200, n952162@×××.de wrote:
2
3 > Apparently, rddtool got installed with harmless, default values, which,
4 > however, are not sufficient for monitorix. So, now I can accept the
5 > changes, and re-emerge rddtool - or probably, emerging monitorix will
6 > arrange for that.
7
8 It will, portage lnows that monitorix needs rrdtool with the extra USE
9 flags and will take care of it, now you have given it permission.
10
11 > Then, if someday, I get a nasty message that there's a keyword
12 > conflict, I'll have to sacrifice either the new package or monitorix ...
13 >
14 > In the meantime, I'll install this package and that, and some of them
15 > may be dependent on rrdtool. In that case, unless they explicitly
16 > disallow that unmasked version, they'll use the same, possibly
17 > experimental, version. When the day comes that I have to back the
18 > unmasked version of rrdtool out, then all other dependent packages will
19 > get the standard, default version again.
20
21 You aren't changing the version, this has nothing to do with keyword
22 masking. You will get the same version of rrdtool, but with extra
23 features compiled in - that's what USE flags do.
24
25 > I'm catching on, bit by bit ;-)
26
27 It can take a while, but you would probably find it useful to read the
28 rest of the Gentoo Handbook. Many people read it to install and boot
29 their Gentoo system, but that is only the first part. The rest contains
30 useful information on running and maintaining a Gentoo system.
34 Neil Bothwick
35
36 A pessimist is an optimist who's given it some thought.