From: n952162@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Aw: Re: Re: [gentoo-user] Updating portage, continued
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2019 06:00:28
1 The handbook is great information, but unfortunately, it uses concepts - specific gentoo concepts - that many readers doesn't know. They are then often cross-referenced to other pages, which likewise define things based on expected internal understanding of the mechanisms, goals, and potential scenarios.
2
3 I have "read" the handbook - multiple times. But not really understood what it was saying - and I have decades of development experience.
4
5 Consider slots. I'm sure I've read that slots are used to allow multiple ... versions? configurations? of the same package to be installed. It was gradually dawning on me, that it's the developer who specifies the slot. Now, I can't figure out what use case that benefits, but the ability to have slots react to realities at a particular installation see to me to make a lot of sense. So, there must be something basic that I don't understand.
6
7 I think cases like my simple case would help new comers and I'm hoping to make a blog describing it, once I fully understand the implications.
8
9 > Gesendet: Mittwoch, 05. Juni 2019 um 00:31 Uhr
10 > Von: "Neil Bothwick" <neil@××××××××××.uk>
11 > An: gentoo-user@l.g.o
12 > Betreff: Re: Re: [gentoo-user] Updating portage, continued
13 >