From: Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Boot stalls after install of 2005.1
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:06:27
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Holly Bostick [mailto:motub@××××××.nl]
3 > Sent: 23 August 2005 16:19
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot stalls after install of 2005.1
8 > Marcel Romijn schreef:
11 > > I assumed that even though the kernel has framebuffer
12 > support built in,
13 > > it won't use it if it is not configured as kernel parameter in
14 > > grub.conf.
15 > > Maybe that was a wrong assumption?
16 >
17 > Yes, it was. The settings in grub.conf are supposed to override the
18 > kernel settings. But if the framebuffer is set in the kernel,
19 > naturally
20 > the kernel is going to start the framebuffer. It is, after all, the
21 > kernel, and the kernel is king of the hill.
22 >
23 > If you don't want a framebuffer, remove framebuffer support from your
24 > kernel config.
25 >
26 > Unless there's a setting in grub.conf to disable the
27 > previously-initialized framebuffer. If there was, you could use that,
28 > but I don't even know if such a setting exists, and seems like extra
29 > work in any case (enabling the framebuffer just to disable it with an
30 > override that may or may not work).
31
32 Perhaps adding -nofb to the kernel will help?
33
34 Also, why did you change your 1024x768-32@85 to 1024x768-32@60 - did you
35 change your monitor?
36 --