From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot stalls after install of 2005.1
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:32:47
1 Marcel Romijn schreef:
4 > I assumed that even though the kernel has framebuffer support built in,
5 > it won't use it if it is not configured as kernel parameter in
6 > grub.conf.
7 > Maybe that was a wrong assumption?
8
9 Yes, it was. The settings in grub.conf are supposed to override the
10 kernel settings. But if the framebuffer is set in the kernel, naturally
11 the kernel is going to start the framebuffer. It is, after all, the
12 kernel, and the kernel is king of the hill.
13
14 If you don't want a framebuffer, remove framebuffer support from your
15 kernel config.
16
17 Unless there's a setting in grub.conf to disable the
18 previously-initialized framebuffer. If there was, you could use that,
19 but I don't even know if such a setting exists, and seems like extra
20 work in any case (enabling the framebuffer just to disable it with an
21 override that may or may not work).
22
23 Hope this helps,
24 Holly