From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : DVD drive
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 11:21:54
1 On Monday 20 Aug 2012 11:21:39 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > Apologies for the elementary questions, but I'm a bit slow to change
3 > (smile).
4 >
5 > In designing my new machine, I assumed that I would simply transfer
6 > the CD drive from the existing box to the new one,
7 > but (1) the new mobo seems to have only SATA sockets
8 > & (2) CD drives seem to be going the same way as diskette drives,
9 > so I'm now planning to buy a new DVD drive & to start using DVDs.
10 > I wb using them only for back-ups, not playing music or videos.
11 >
12 > This looks like a good enough item :
13 > ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24x SATA Black R 48x W 8x OEM : CAD 24,99
14 >
15 > Can anyone answer a few rather basic questions ?
16
17 I'll try.
18
19 > (1) do I need to configure the kernel to find the drive ?
20
21 Yes. As a minimum have a look at BLK_DEV_SR and BLK_DEV_SR_VENDOR. You may
22 also need SCSI_PROC_FS for legacy applications. The AHCI drivers would
23 probably be enabled for your hard drive SATA controller anyway.
26 > (2) what software do Gentoo users use to read/write DVDs ?
27
28 From cdrecord man page (app-cdr/cdrtools):
29
30 "NAME
31 cdrecord - record audio or data CD, DVD or BluRay"
32
33 and of course for a GUI front you can use k3b if you use KDE applications. If
34 you're not using KDE consider xfburn. Not sure about Gnome applications like
35 Brasero that is shipping with Mint/Ubuntu these days.
38 > (3) are there rewritable DVDs, as there used to be rewritable CDs ?
39 > -- among the specs are much slower speeds labelled 'RW'.
40
41 Yes, +RW, -RW, but don't know much more on this other than older DVD writers
42 would only do one format not another and if you didn't pay attention to the
43 specification/limitations of your hardware you could end up buying the wrong
44 type of DVDs. Someone more experienced on recording media could answer this
45 better.
48 > (4) anything else I sb aware of ?
49
50 Given your adoption rate of new technology I suggest you consider buying a
51 BluRay player if not recorder, because I don't know how long it will be before
52 DVDs become obsolete too. Unfortunately BluRay devices were out of my price
53 range last time I bought hardware to justify paying the extra, so I can't
54 recommend any.
55
56 HTH.
57 --