From: FredL <raptor@××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fresh install and problem with net.* init.d script
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 22:45:16
1 Le 2013/07/22 23:08, Alan McKinnon a écrit :
2 > On 23/07/2013 00:02, FredL wrote:
3 > Le 2013/07/22 22:44, Alan McKinnon a écrit :
4 > On 22/07/2013 23:35, FredL wrote:
5 >
6 > Do you perhaps have NetworkManager or wicd installed?
9 > no, none of them, it is a very basic install, with only the minimum
10 > packages installed . I have checked at the init script and find a line
11 > in the depend section saying :
12 >
13 > after lo lo0 dbus
14 >
15 > but dbus is not yet installed, can this be the cause of my problem?
16 >
17 > so I have just installed dbus and add it to default runlevel and my
18 > net.* script are loaded correctly setting my static config, so every
19 > thing is fine now.
20 >
21 > But why do we need dbus in a very minimalistic system? I was thinking
22 > that it would be helpful in a full desktop environnement for
23 > automagically mounting device and things like that...
27 > dbus is NOT a desktop daemon. This is very important, and that single
28 > misunderstanding is probably behind all the fud you read about it.
29 >
30 > dbus implements a message bus - an amazingly useful thing to have.
31 >
32 > Why do you need or want a message bus?
33 >
34 > You might as well ask why do you need or want any other form of IPC you
35 > already have, as that is what dbus is. It's a very small, light daemon,
36 > can run system-wide or per-session and has the potential to many of the
37 > IPC implementations you already have. Those are the ones that don't
38 > happen to show up in ps so you hear very little whinging about them.
39 >
40 > That desktop systems are the main user of dbus at this point in time
41 > doesn't change one bit what dbus is designed to do and it's usefulness.
42 >
43 > ok, thanks for your explanation and your help, my last fresh install
44 > was
45 > a very long time ago and I can't remember having to install dbus before
46 > having my net script working, but a lot of things have changed since
47 > this last install and that is probably what I miss in this fresh
48 > install
49 > process
50 >
51 > I wonder why you didn;t have dbus installed. You said you copied the
52 > new
53 > install over from an old one, right?
54 >
55 > So emerge world should have pulled in everything you need.
56 >
57 > What's different between that new install and the old one?
60 I just use my current gentoo system for building a new one from scratch,
61 so I only use my current system as it was only a livecd. I won't use my
62 current world file or anything else coming from my current system
63 (except things like hostname, hosts, or kernel config). In fact I'm
64 building a little script for deploying a very basic gentoo system
65 without typing the full list of commands listed in the installation
66 documentation. Just a hobby for lazy guy ;)
67 Another reason for this fresh install is that I plan to write a full doc
68 for describing the installation process for building a cluster hosting
69 my own services (ftp, web, mail, etc...) in a para virtualised
70 environnement (xen) . So I don't want to have any rubish coming from the
71 desktop I currently used, and want to keep things as clean as possible.