From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fresh install and problem with net.* init.d script
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 22:11:41
1 On 23/07/2013 00:02, FredL wrote:
2 > Le 2013/07/22 22:44, Alan McKinnon a écrit :
3 >> On 22/07/2013 23:35, FredL wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Do you perhaps have NetworkManager or wicd installed?
8 >> no, none of them, it is a very basic install, with only the minimum
9 >> packages installed . I have checked at the init script and find a line
10 >> in the depend section saying :
11 >>
12 >> after lo lo0 dbus
13 >>
14 >> but dbus is not yet installed, can this be the cause of my problem?
15 >>
16 >> so I have just installed dbus and add it to default runlevel and my
17 >> net.* script are loaded correctly setting my static config, so every
18 >> thing is fine now.
19 >>
20 >> But why do we need dbus in a very minimalistic system? I was thinking
21 >> that it would be helpful in a full desktop environnement for
22 >> automagically mounting device and things like that...
26 >> dbus is NOT a desktop daemon. This is very important, and that single
27 >> misunderstanding is probably behind all the fud you read about it.
28 >>
29 >> dbus implements a message bus - an amazingly useful thing to have.
30 >>
31 >> Why do you need or want a message bus?
32 >>
33 >> You might as well ask why do you need or want any other form of IPC you
34 >> already have, as that is what dbus is. It's a very small, light daemon,
35 >> can run system-wide or per-session and has the potential to many of the
36 >> IPC implementations you already have. Those are the ones that don't
37 >> happen to show up in ps so you hear very little whinging about them.
38 >>
39 >> That desktop systems are the main user of dbus at this point in time
40 >> doesn't change one bit what dbus is designed to do and it's usefulness.
41 >
42 > ok, thanks for your explanation and your help, my last fresh install was
43 > a very long time ago and I can't remember having to install dbus before
44 > having my net script working, but a lot of things have changed since
45 > this last install and that is probably what I miss in this fresh install
46 > process
47
48 I wonder why you didn;t have dbus installed. You said you copied the new
49 install over from an old one, right?
50
51 So emerge world should have pulled in everything you need.
52
53 What's different between that new install and the old one?
58 Alan McKinnon
59 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com