From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: What xorg pkgs needed for X to work
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 20:53:21
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > On Friday 15 January 2010 20:43:32 Harry Putnam wrote:
5 > > [Please excuse if this is a double whammy... it appears not to have
6 > > made it to the mail/news server]
7 > >
8 > > Sorry for the awkwardly phrased subject... but couldn't think of
9 > > anything better.
10 > >
11 > > I'm rebuilding my home desktop with a full reinstall
12 > >
13 > > So far haven't gotten to getting X working... but did notice that when
14 > > I test what all gets installed with:
15 > >
16 > > emerge -vp xfce4-meta
17 > >
18 > > I notice that xorg-x11 is not amongst the... dependencies.
19 > >
20 > > xorg-server is absent as well, but I seem to recall a more basic xorg
21 > > pkgs being involved. Maybe something like xorg-base... or whatever.
22 > >
23 > > Apparently something has happened with naming of pkgs or something,
24 > > that I haven't kept up with.
25 > >
26 > > But can a user really get use out of xfce4-meta with no xorg-server?
27 >
28 > Yes.
29 >
30 > This is how X11 works. xfce does not need a full blown xserver on the *local*
31 > machine, it simply needs X libs to function. The X libs in turn will talk to
32 > the xserver, which does not have to be on the local machine.
33 >
34 > Parallel situation: You do not need X and a browser on a machine running a web
35 > server, as the pages served are not necessarily viewed on the machine hosting
36 > apache.
37
38 Ahh yes... I see you point now.
39
40 > To get X you can either;
41 >
42 > merge xorg-x11 (this is the "meta" package you didn't know the name of) or
43 > put "X" in USE
44 >
45 > Note carefully that this is not a silly situation, it works this way by
46 > design.
47
48 Well that is kind of the kicker... I do have X in use flags. In fact posting
49 all I have in /etc/make.conf below:
50
51 USE="X acpi alsa apache2 branding cscope dbus emacs ffmpeg gif hal
52 jpeg lock logrotate mbox mysql samba sasl session svg vim-pager
53 vim-with-x png pdf session startup-notification subversion thunar
54 tiff exif win32codecs Xaw3d
55
56 ## FOR Xfce4 => branding dbus hal lock session startup-notification thunar
57 ## They are added above
58
59 -bluetooth -crypt -eds -emboss -evo -gnome -gstreamer -imap
60 -ipv6 -kde -ldap -mad -maildir -mikmod -minimal -qt3 -qt3support
61 -qt4 -sdl -xscreensaver"
62
63 As you see, it is the very first USE flag.
64 Maybe something the the negative list is making a problem...?
65
66 But its not a major obstacle.. of course, my real aim is to get X going with
67 Xfce4 and I'm pretty sure I can get that done.
68
69 Thanks for the input.