From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r5 with x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2 -- file conflict
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 13:35:54
1 On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 2:40 AM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Kevin O'Gorman writes:
3 >
4 >> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
5 > wrote:
6 >
7 >> > I thank you for the expert advice.  I'm doing the emerge now, but even
8 >> > if it succeeds, I'm worried that the xorg-server will still own this
9 >> > file, since portageq seems to see that it does.  This seems inherently
10 >> > wrong.
11 >
12 > Well, it is indeed.
13 >
14 >> > Sigh.  I'm too far along to flinch now, so if this emerges, I'll
15 >> > probably restart X.
16 >> >
17 >> > Wish me luck.
18 >
19 > I do, but I do not believe bad things might happen.
20 >
21 >> Hmm.  Even with the FEATURES option from the suggestion, I get exactly
22 >> the same error message.  I cut-and-pasted it, but I wonder if it's
23 >> spelled right?
24 >
25 > It is. But I forgot about the protect-owned feature. I thought -collision-
26 > protect would act stronger and imply it, but apparently it does not. So,
27 > 'FEATURES=-protect-owned emerge ati-drivers' might have worked better. If
28 > not, 'FEATURES="-collision-protect -protect-owned" emerge ati-drivers' would
29 > have worked in any case.
30 >
31 >> I'm going to try just deleting (well, renaming) the file, hoping that
32 >> this will work...
33 >
34 > Yes, that's okay. After all, the file is still there, it's just now being
35 > generated by the ati-driver. I wouldn't worry too much.
36 >
37 >        Wonko
38
39 well, it emerged this time. I'm going to restart X over the weekend,
40 when I'll have time to clean up the mess that I half expect.
41
42 ++ kevin
45 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD