From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r5 with x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2 -- file conflict
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 09:40:15
1 Kevin O'Gorman writes:
2
3 > On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
4 wrote:
5
6 > > I thank you for the expert advice. I'm doing the emerge now, but even
7 > > if it succeeds, I'm worried that the xorg-server will still own this
8 > > file, since portageq seems to see that it does. This seems inherently
9 > > wrong.
10
11 Well, it is indeed.
12
13 > > Sigh. I'm too far along to flinch now, so if this emerges, I'll
14 > > probably restart X.
15 > >
16 > > Wish me luck.
17
18 I do, but I do not believe bad things might happen.
19
20 > Hmm. Even with the FEATURES option from the suggestion, I get exactly
21 > the same error message. I cut-and-pasted it, but I wonder if it's
22 > spelled right?
23
24 It is. But I forgot about the protect-owned feature. I thought -collision-
25 protect would act stronger and imply it, but apparently it does not. So,
26 'FEATURES=-protect-owned emerge ati-drivers' might have worked better. If
27 not, 'FEATURES="-collision-protect -protect-owned" emerge ati-drivers' would
28 have worked in any case.
29
30 > I'm going to try just deleting (well, renaming) the file, hoping that
31 > this will work...
32
33 Yes, that's okay. After all, the file is still there, it's just now being
34 generated by the ati-driver. I wouldn't worry too much.
35
36 Wonko