From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : DVD drive
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 20:49:02
1 Am Montag, 20. August 2012, 23:12:14 schrieb Pandu Poluan:
2 > On Aug 20, 2012 10:12 PM, "Joerg Schilling" <
3 >
4 > Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
5 > > Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
6 > > > On Aug 20, 2012 8:51 PM, "Pandu Poluan" <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
7 > > > > On Aug 20, 2012 7:47 PM, "Andrea Conti" <alyf@××××.net> wrote:
8 > > > >
9 > > > > +RW *can* be erased, or else it won't be called RW :-)
10 > > > >
11 > > > > That said, the difference is much deeper than differing metadata.
12 >
13 > Among
14 >
15 > > > which :
16 > > > > * +RW uses Phase Modulation, -RW uses amplitude modulation. This gives
17 > > >
18 > > > +RW much more robustness than -RW
19 > >
20 > > This is also wrong:
23 > > DVD+RW use 817.4 kHz in the pregrove and periodically inverts the phase as
24 > > sector start marker. This is cheaper to press (as the stamper will last
25 >
26 > for more
27 >
28 > > press cycles) but it is not as accurate as DVD-RW and you get floating
29 >
30 > bader
31 >
32 > > quality during the life cycle of the stamper.
33 > >
34 > > DVD-RW uses 140.6 kHz in the pregrove and in addition lans pits between
35 >
36 > the
37 >
38 > > groves to mark the sector start, This is much more precise than what
39 >
40 > DVD+RW
41 >
42 > > uses. Since aproc. 4 years, there is a new patented stamper method that
43 >
44 > uses
45 >
46 > > dints in the pregrove instead of pits on top of the land. This is as
47 >
48 > precise as
49 >
50 > > the pit on land method, compatoble to this method and allows stampers
51 >
52 > that are
53 >
54 > > as cheap as the DVD+RW stampers. There is no degradaraion of the stamper
55 > > accuracy as with DVD+RW, even with the new modified version.
56 >
57 > Thanks for the technical information, although honestly, most are beyond me
58 >
59 > :-P
60 >
61 > That said, care to refute the following page:
62 >
63 > http://www.myce.com/article/why-dvdrw-is-superior-to-dvd-rw-203/
64 >
65 > because until someone publicly refute that article, I honestly will prefer
66 > +RW over -RW.
67 >
68 > (And, anecdotally, ever since I burn DVD's, I already had a stack of
69 > failing -RW discs, while having only two failing +RW discs. I might be just
70 > lucky, but since experience matches expectations (based on that article),
71 > luck seems to not have anything to do with it.)
72 >
73 > PS: I'm not trying to start a plus/minus war; I am sincerely interested,
74 > and will switch my preferred optical media if corrected.
75 >
76 > Rgds,
77
78 hm, I also had much besser results with + media. +rw and +r.
81 #163933