From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : DVD drive
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 16:14:43
1 On Aug 20, 2012 10:12 PM, "Joerg Schilling" <
2 Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 >
4 > Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Aug 20, 2012 8:51 PM, "Pandu Poluan" <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
7 > > >
8 > > >
9 > > > On Aug 20, 2012 7:47 PM, "Andrea Conti" <alyf@××××.net> wrote:
10 >
11 > > > +RW *can* be erased, or else it won't be called RW :-)
12 > > >
13 > > > That said, the difference is much deeper than differing metadata.
14 Among
15 > > which :
16 > > >
17 > > > * +RW uses Phase Modulation, -RW uses amplitude modulation. This gives
18 > > +RW much more robustness than -RW
19 >
20 > This is also wrong:
23 > DVD+RW use 817.4 kHz in the pregrove and periodically inverts the phase as
24 > sector start marker. This is cheaper to press (as the stamper will last
25 for more
26 > press cycles) but it is not as accurate as DVD-RW and you get floating
27 bader
28 > quality during the life cycle of the stamper.
29 >
30 > DVD-RW uses 140.6 kHz in the pregrove and in addition lans pits between
31 the
32 > groves to mark the sector start, This is much more precise than what
33 DVD+RW
34 > uses. Since aproc. 4 years, there is a new patented stamper method that
35 uses
36 > dints in the pregrove instead of pits on top of the land. This is as
37 precise as
38 > the pit on land method, compatoble to this method and allows stampers
39 that are
40 > as cheap as the DVD+RW stampers. There is no degradaraion of the stamper
41 > accuracy as with DVD+RW, even with the new modified version.
44 Thanks for the technical information, although honestly, most are beyond me
45 :-P
46
47 That said, care to refute the following page:
48
49 http://www.myce.com/article/why-dvdrw-is-superior-to-dvd-rw-203/
50
51 because until someone publicly refute that article, I honestly will prefer
52 +RW over -RW.
53
54 (And, anecdotally, ever since I burn DVD's, I already had a stack of
55 failing -RW discs, while having only two failing +RW discs. I might be just
56 lucky, but since experience matches expectations (based on that article),
57 luck seems to not have anything to do with it.)
58
59 PS: I'm not trying to start a plus/minus war; I am sincerely interested,
60 and will switch my preferred optical media if corrected.
61
62 Rgds,