From: James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OFF] string1!string2!string3 notation
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 15:12:22
1 On 27 February 2012 14:27, Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Am 27.02.2012 15:04, schrieb Claudio Roberto França Pereira:
3 >> I'm reading Writing Solid Code, by Steve Maguire, and at the end of
4 >> the book there is an about the author section that mentions two
5 >> contact addresses: one is an email, the other is
6 >> microsoft!storm!stevem. The book is from 1993, so that should be an
7 >> old address, for an old protocol. So what? That's not enough for my
8 >> curiosity. Anyone does know where this came from?
9 >>
10 >> --
11 >> Claudio Roberto França Pereira
14 > That's a bang path from UUCP.
15 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uucp
16
17 "Bang paths of eight to ten machines (or hops) were not uncommon in
18 1981, and late-night dial-up UUCP links would cause week-long
19 transmission times. "
20 <shudder>