From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Strategy for using SAN/NAS for storage with Gentoo...
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 16:58:32
1 Am 17.03.2010 22:00, schrieb Neil Bothwick:
2 > On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:44:34 +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:
3 >
4 >> Just for clarification: Is it really necessary to unplug the broken disk
5 >> for this to work?
6 >> If read access fails on sda and the BIOS tries sdb, would this also
7 >> work? Isn't grub's hd0 always the disk on which grub resides (e.g. the
8 >> disk from which grub managed to boot)?
9 >
10 > I suspect that may be dependent on the nature of the failure. For
11 > example, if /boot is corrupted, the BIOS will still boot from the broken
12 > disk's MBR before failing later.
13 >
14 > Most BIOSes now enable you to disable individual SATA ports, so you could
15 > disappear the disk without unplugging it, although I'm not sure why you'd
16 > want to leave a broken disk in the box.
20 Just in case I ever face high demands on uptime. It's good to know
21 whether I can still (remote) reboot a machine and it will come up
22 although one of its drives is broken.