From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Strategy for using SAN/NAS for storage with Gentoo...
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:00:54
1 On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:44:34 +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:
2
3 > Just for clarification: Is it really necessary to unplug the broken disk
4 > for this to work?
5 > If read access fails on sda and the BIOS tries sdb, would this also
6 > work? Isn't grub's hd0 always the disk on which grub resides (e.g. the
7 > disk from which grub managed to boot)?
8
9 I suspect that may be dependent on the nature of the failure. For
10 example, if /boot is corrupted, the BIOS will still boot from the broken
11 disk's MBR before failing later.
12
13 Most BIOSes now enable you to disable individual SATA ports, so you could
14 disappear the disk without unplugging it, although I'm not sure why you'd
15 want to leave a broken disk in the box.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 This is the day for firm decisions! Or is it?