From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dead apache (cannot listen)
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 15:21:04
1 Thanks for top-posting :o)
2
3 This is still a bit mysterious for me. I've tried to do what you said, but
4 apache still fails to start because it cannot
5 open a listening port. Here's what I've figured out about what I have:
6 /etc/conf.c/apache2 contains
7 APACHE2_OPTS="-D DEFAULT_VHOST -D INFO -D LANGUAGE -D MANUAL -D SSL -D
8 SSL_DEFAULT_VHOST -D USERDIR"
9 to which I contributed only USERDIR -- the other stuff came with the
10 ebuild. Maybe I should drop the SSL stuff since my server has
11 no https stuff (It does have htaccess and htpasswd stuff, but I think that's
12 different). In any event, removing the SSL stuff does not change
13 the problem.
14
15 Everything else in that file is commented out, which I take to mean that
16 default values are used. Among the defaults is
17 #CONFIGFILE=/etc/apache2/httpd.conf
18 and that file contains
19 Include /etc/apache2/vhosts.d/*.conf
20 And /etc/apache2/vhosts.d/ includes
21 00_default_ssl_vhost.conf and 00_default_vhost.conf
22
23 My 00_default_vhost.conf:
24 =============== start 00_default_vhost.conf ==========================
25 # If your host doesn't have a registered DNS name, enter its IP address
26 here.
27 #
28 #ServerName www.example.com:80
29 ServerName www.kosmanor.com:80
30
31 #KOSMANOR changes
32 #Listen 80
33 Listen 64.166.164.49:80
34 Listen localhost:80
35
36 # DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your
37 # documents. By default, all requests are taken from this directory, but
38 # symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other locations.
39 #
40 # If you change this to something that isn't under /var/www then suexec
41 # will no longer work.
42 DocumentRoot "/var/www/localhost/htdocs"
43
44 # This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.
45 <Directory "/var/www/localhost/htdocs">
46 # Possible values for the Options directive are "None", "All",
47 # or any combination of:
48 # Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks SymLinksifOwnerMatch ExecCGI
49 MultiViews
50 #
51 # Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options
52 All"
53 # doesn't give it to you.
54 #
55 # The Options directive is both complicated and important. Please
56 see
57 # http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#options
58 # for more information.
59 Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
60
61 # AllowOverride controls what directives may be placed in .htaccess
62 files.
63 # It can be "All", "None", or any combination of the keywords:
64 # Options FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
65 AllowOverride All
66
67 # Controls who can get stuff from this server.
68 Order allow,deny
69 Allow from all
70 </Directory>
71
72 <IfModule alias_module>
73 # Redirect: Allows you to tell clients about documents that used to
74 # exist in your server's namespace, but do not anymore. The client
75 # will make a new request for the document at its new location.
76 # Example:
77 # Redirect permanent /foo http://www.example.com/bar
78
79 # Alias: Maps web paths into filesystem paths and is used to
80 # access content that does not live under the DocumentRoot.
81 # Example:
82 # Alias /webpath /full/filesystem/path
83 #
84 # If you include a trailing / on /webpath then the server will
85 # require it to be present in the URL. You will also likely
86 # need to provide a <Directory> section to allow access to
87 # the filesystem path.
88
89 # ScriptAlias: This controls which directories contain server
90 scripts.
91 # ScriptAliases are essentially the same as Aliases, except that
92 # documents in the target directory are treated as applications and
93 # run by the server when requested rather than as documents sent to
94 the
95 # client. The same rules about trailing "/" apply to ScriptAlias
96 # directives as to Alias.
97 ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/localhost/cgi-bin/"
98 </IfModule>
99
100 # "/var/www/localhost/cgi-bin" should be changed to whatever your
101 ScriptAliased
102 # CGI directory exists, if you have that configured.
103 <Directory "/var/www/localhost/cgi-bin">
104 AllowOverride None
105 Options None
106 Order allow,deny
107 Allow from all