From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What groups should user "root" be in?
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 08:38:23
1 Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
2 > Greetings,
3 >
4 > still hunting down the reasons for my laptop not producing any sound, I
5 > have meanwhile found reports on the web "no sound even though root is in
6 > group audio" or "Dbus doesn't "care" who root is -- it checks the ident-
7 > ity of the account that requested an action, and if that account isn't
8 > allowed to perform that action, the request is denied" [1].
9 >
10 > I can't remember ever having manually added user "root" to any groups
11 > since I installed Gentoo on my laptop (as opposed to adding my own user-
12 > id to quite some groups)m and these are the few groups "root" is into:
13 >
14 > $ id root
15 > uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root),1(bin),2(daemon),3(sys),4(adm),6(disk),10(wheel),11(floppy),26(tape),27(video)
16 > $
17 >
18 > Should there be more? In particular, should "root" be in group "audio"?
19 >
20 > Sincerely,
21 > Rainer
22 >
23 > [1] https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=3640443#post3640443
28 If it helps, this is what I have:
31 root@fireball / # cat /etc/group | grep root
32 root::0:root
33 bin::1:root,bin,daemon
34 daemon::2:root,bin,daemon
35 sys::3:root,bin,adm
36 adm::4:root,adm,daemon
37 disk::6:root,adm
38 wheel::10:root,dale2,dale
39 floppy::11:root,dale
40 dialout::20:root,dale,dale2
41 tape::26:root
42 video::27:root,dale,dale2,sddm
43 root@fireball / #
46 Looking at the whole file, not everything mentions root, most don't
47 actually.
48
49 Dale
50