From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD partitioning and migration
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 08:27:13
1 On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 03:22:11 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > >> Do you really want to put /home on a SSD?
4 > >
5 > > Why not?
6 > >
7 > > /home is the most frequently-read directory on most systems, and SSD
8 > > is ideal for that.
9 > >
10 > > If you are concerned about wear-levelling, /home is not the danger
11 > > point
12
13 > Interesting. I'm not sure I would want mine on a SSD even if it would
14 > fit on one. The only part that might help would be my .kde
15 > and .mozilla directory.
16
17 SSDs are not like USB flash drives, and it's been years since I managed
18 to wear one of those out (mainly due to a kernel bug). They have
19 lifetimes similar to spinny disks these days.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 If you got the words it does not mean you got the knowledge.