From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [gentoo-amd64] Help! New install and New User to linux - Gentoo!
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 20:09:16
1 On 4/20/06, Jarry <jarry@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Richard Fish wrote:
3 >
4 > > No. both grub and lilo work through the system BIOS. Neither can
5 > > 'see' things not provided through the system BIOS.
6 >
7 > Are you absolutely sure about lilo?
8
9 Checking the source and the README in the source of 22.7.1 makes it
10 pretty clear that lilo is still using the BIOS for booting.
11
12 > lilo used bios for disk sector read, but I think is not using
13 > anymore (quite a long time). Thanks to that you can have
14 > /boot (more exactly, kernel) wherever you want.
15 >
16 > int13h is called with following registers:
17 > AH: 02h (read sectors from drive)
18 > CH + 2low bits from CL: cylinder number (0-1023)
19 > rest 6bits from CL: sector number (1-63)
20 > DH: head (1-255)
21 >
22 > That's the famous "8-GB limit"
23
24 You are correct about old systems having a 1024-cylinder limit, but
25 the solution for this was that the system bios was extended to allow
26 access to sectors >= 1024. The typical term for this is the "13h
27 extensions". In lilo documentation, this is the "EDD packets".
28
29 > "famous"), where you had to install kernel with old lilo to be
30 > able to boot it. But at least a couple of years there is no such
31 > a limit with lilo. I think I have read somewhere that lilo is
32 > not using bios for disk-access anymore. I'll try to dig it out...
33
34 This might be true on itanium or other non-x86 platforms (I know
35 nothing about these). But on x86, the BIOS controls booting, and the
36 OS cannot access the disks any other way than through the BIOS until
37 it's own device drivers are loaded. So unless lilo has been adding
38 device drivers for the plethora of SCSI, FC, IDE, SATA, IEEE1284, and
39 USB disk controllers out there, and making them all fit in the
40 impossibly small space of the MBR (~460 bytes?), it is using the BIOS
41 for at least some actions.
42
43 -Richard
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list