From: Jarry <jarry@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [gentoo-amd64] Help! New install and New User to linux - Gentoo!
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:53:55
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 > No. both grub and lilo work through the system BIOS. Neither can
4 > 'see' things not provided through the system BIOS.
5
6 Are you absolutely sure about lilo?
7 lilo used bios for disk sector read, but I think is not using
8 anymore (quite a long time). Thanks to that you can have
9 /boot (more exactly, kernel) wherever you want.
10
11 int13h is called with following registers:
12 AH: 02h (read sectors from drive)
13 CH + 2low bits from CL: cylinder number (0-1023)
14 rest 6bits from CL: sector number (1-63)
15 DH: head (1-255)
16
17 That's the famous "8-GB limit" (and there are some more, equally
18 "famous"), where you had to install kernel with old lilo to be
19 able to boot it. But at least a couple of years there is no such
20 a limit with lilo. I think I have read somewhere that lilo is
21 not using bios for disk-access anymore. I'll try to dig it out...
22
23 Jarry
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list