From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [gentoo-amd64] Help! New install and New User to linux - Gentoo!
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:49:01
1 On 4/20/06, jarry@×××.net <jarry@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Well, I'm not using GRUB, but I think that the way GRUB
3 > reads disks has very little (if anything) common with linux.
4 > Not only it gives different names to disk-partitions, grub
5 > is like "mini-OS", which uses its own routines. It can be
6 > that GRUB sees disks/partitions differently, than linux...
7 >
8 > lilo has been designed as "LInux LOader". If lilo can see some
9 > disks/partitions, linux kernel can find them too (and vice-versa).
10 > But this is sometimes not true for GRUB...
11
12 No. both grub and lilo work through the system BIOS. Neither can
13 'see' things not provided through the system BIOS.
14
15 But grub and lilo do work very differently in their 'normal'
16 configurations. Lilo records absolute disk blocks where the kernel is
17 located, and loads the kernel directly from those blocks. This is why
18 you have to re-run lilo every time you update your kernel.
19
20 Grub however has some knowledge of filesystems, so can actually read
21 the filesystem that contains the kernel to determine what blocks to
22 load. So it is possible (not so much today, but in years past) to use
23 a filesystem that linux understands but grub does not.
24
25 -Richard
29 > Jarry
30 >
31 > --
32 > Analog-/ISDN-Nutzer sparen mit GMX SmartSurfer bis zu 70%!
33 > Kostenlos downloaden: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/smartsurfer
34 > --
35 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list