From: jarry@×××.net
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [gentoo-amd64] Help! New install and New User to linux - Gentoo!
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:55:58
1 "Christopher E" <sensory.access@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I am able to get into the system with the current setup that is the
4 > strange thing, I am NOT using the liveCD any more, I am booting using
5 > GRUB, it loads the kernel and then it prompts me for a root block
6
7 Well, I'm not using GRUB, but I think that the way GRUB
8 reads disks has very little (if anything) common with linux.
9 Not only it gives different names to disk-partitions, grub
10 is like "mini-OS", which uses its own routines. It can be
11 that GRUB sees disks/partitions differently, than linux...
12
13 lilo has been designed as "LInux LOader". If lilo can see some
14 disks/partitions, linux kernel can find them too (and vice-versa).
15 But this is sometimes not true for GRUB...
16
17 Jarry
20 Analog-/ISDN-Nutzer sparen mit GMX SmartSurfer bis zu 70%!
21 Kostenlos downloaden: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/smartsurfer
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list