From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fast file system for cache directory with lot's of files
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 20:44:45
1 Am Montag, 13. August 2012, 15:13:03 schrieb Paul Hartman:
2 > On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Michael Hampicke <mgehampicke@×××××.com>
3 wrote:
4 > > Howdy gentooers,
5 > >
6 > > I am looking for a filesystem that perfomes well for a cache directory.
7 > > Here's some data on that dir:
8 > > - cache for prescaled images files + metadata files
9 > > - nested directory structure ( 20/2022/202231/*files* )
10 > > - about 20GB
11 > > - 100.000 directories
12 > > - about 2 million files
13 > >
14 > > The system has 2x Intel Xon Quad-cores (Nehalem), 16GB of RAM and two
15 > > 10.000rpm hard drives running a RAID1.
16 > >
17 > > Up until now I was using ext4 with noatime, but I am not happy with it's
18 > > performence. Finding and deleting old files with 'find' is incredible
19 > > slow,
20 > > so I am looking for a filesystem that performs better. First candiate that
21 > > came to mind was reiserfs, but last time I tried it, it became slower over
22 > > time (fragmentation?).
23 > > Currently I am running a test with btrfs and so far I am quiet happy with
24 > > it as it is much faster in my use case.
25 > >
26 > > Do you guys have any other suggestions? How about JFS? I used that on my
27 > > old NAS box because of it's low cpu usage. Should I give reiser4 a try,
28 > > or better leave it be given Hans Reiser's current status?
29 >
30 > I think btrfs probably is meant to provide a lot of the modern
31 > features like reiser4 or xfs (tail-packing, indexing, compression,
32 > snapshots, subvolumes, etc). Don't know if it is considered stable
33 > enough for your usage but at least it is under active development and
34 > funded by large names. I think if you would consider reiser4 as a
35 > possibility then you should consider btrfs as well.
36
37 reiser4 has one feature btrfs and ever other is missing. atomic operations.
38
39 Which is a wonderful feature. Too bad 'politics' killed reiser4.
42 #163933