From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fast file system for cache directory with lot's of files
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 20:15:44
1 On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Michael Hampicke <mgehampicke@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Howdy gentooers,
3 >
4 > I am looking for a filesystem that perfomes well for a cache directory.
5 > Here's some data on that dir:
6 > - cache for prescaled images files + metadata files
7 > - nested directory structure ( 20/2022/202231/*files* )
8 > - about 20GB
9 > - 100.000 directories
10 > - about 2 million files
11 >
12 > The system has 2x Intel Xon Quad-cores (Nehalem), 16GB of RAM and two
13 > 10.000rpm hard drives running a RAID1.
14 >
15 > Up until now I was using ext4 with noatime, but I am not happy with it's
16 > performence. Finding and deleting old files with 'find' is incredible slow,
17 > so I am looking for a filesystem that performs better. First candiate that
18 > came to mind was reiserfs, but last time I tried it, it became slower over
19 > time (fragmentation?).
20 > Currently I am running a test with btrfs and so far I am quiet happy with it
21 > as it is much faster in my use case.
22 >
23 > Do you guys have any other suggestions? How about JFS? I used that on my old
24 > NAS box because of it's low cpu usage. Should I give reiser4 a try, or
25 > better leave it be given Hans Reiser's current status?
26
27 I think btrfs probably is meant to provide a lot of the modern
28 features like reiser4 or xfs (tail-packing, indexing, compression,
29 snapshots, subvolumes, etc). Don't know if it is considered stable
30 enough for your usage but at least it is under active development and
31 funded by large names. I think if you would consider reiser4 as a
32 possibility then you should consider btrfs as well.