From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X won't start after xorg-server update
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 03:15:47
1 On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 03:19:29PM -0500, Dale wrote
2
3 > When doing upgrades, I agree it is always wise to look at all USE flag
4 > changes. Having USE flags is a Gentoo feature but if not monitored
5 > correctly, it can be a curse as well. It can cause havoc and makes
6 > things not work correctly or add features one doesn't want.
7
8 I learned this "the hard way" when the Gentoo devs "in their infinite
9 wisdom" made "+ipv6" the default. Web browsers and wget, etc, would
10 spin their wheels for 45 seconds on IPV6 lookups, before failing over
11 to IPV4. I don't recall a news item.
14 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
15 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications