From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X won't start after xorg-server update
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 20:19:54
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 03:17:34PM +0100, hitachi303 wrote
3 >> Am 14.03.20 um 13:46 schrieb Neil Bothwick:
4 >>> I take it you don't have USE=libglvnd for mesa?
5 >> Yes I do. Since I haven't defined it in my make.conf I guess it is
6 >> defined by profile.
7 > When I update my system, I do a pretend emerge and check for new
8 > packages and flags. I saw this flag, and asked for "Mr. Google's
9 > opinion". There were a few horror stories, so I added "-libglvnd" to my
10 > USE flags in make.conf, and things run fine after the update. I'll
11 > check back later down the road, when the kinks are hopefully worked out.
15 I do similar myself.  I use the -a option that way IF, big IF,
16 everything looks OK I can hit y and enter to carry on without it going
17 through the process again.  I to look for changed USE flags.  I use euse
18 -i to see what they are for, which usually doesn't help much.  I then
19 use eix to find the package it pulls in if it is a lib<something> and
20 hit up the home page to see what it does.  Sometimes I let it apply then
21 test the software to see if I want to keep it or not.  Sometimes I
22 disable it in package.use for that package(s). Like you, depends on what
23 it does.  Sometimes I don't need that feature, sometimes I just don't
24 want it, sometimes it may not work here due to hardware limits.  I don't
25 have a mic input for example or a video camera either.  Sort of hard for
26 software to configure something it can't find because it doesn't exist.
27 Other examples could apply as well.
28
29 When doing upgrades, I agree it is always wise to look at all USE flag
30 changes.  Having USE flags is a Gentoo feature but if not monitored
31 correctly, it can be a curse as well.  It can cause havoc and makes
32 things not work correctly or add features one doesn't want.
33
34 +1 to this.
35
36 Dale