From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: new machine : (1) which CPU ?
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 12:36:57
1 On 20/07/12 10:24, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > I plan to build a new machine in the next few months:
3 > it wb for regular desktop use, but performance is as important as price.
4 >
5 > A quick look at what was available in April suggested
6 > an Intel Ivy Bridge i7 ( 22 nm ) ; Phoronix said it works with Kernel 3.2
7 > + an Intel Z77 mobo (I usually buy ASUS) & that power/watt was excellent.
8
9 The best performance for money is the i5 2550K CPU. If you want the
10 integrated graphics because you don't have an actual graphics card, you
11 can go for the 2500K.
12
13 This is a Sandy Bridge CPU. I normally don't recommend the Ivy Bridge
14 ones because they run hotter, so changing the clock multipliers isn't as
15 fun as with Sandy Bridge.