From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: System freezes during compiles
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 20:04:29
1 On 2013-03-20, Carlos Hendson <skyclan@×××.net> wrote:
2
3 > Looking at the difference between the output of smartctl for before
4 > and during the test, there has been an increase in errors detected
5 > for ID #195
6 >
7 > Before test:
8 > 195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered 0x001a 001 001 000 Old_age Always
9 > - 241822
10 >
11 > During test:
12 > 195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered 0x001a 001 001 000 Old_age Always
13 > - 243582
14 >
15 > Could this be the cause of the stalls during compiles? If it is the
16 > cause, is it possible for the kernel to detect such failures and report
17 > them?
18
19 I think that as long as the errors are "recovered" they shouldn't
20 cause problems. The $64 question is whether those errors are
21 indicating that you're headed for unrecoverable errors (which will
22 cause problems). If they seem to be increasing in frequency, I'd
23 probably be a little worried.
26 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! SHHHH!! I hear SIX
27 at TATTOOED TRUCK-DRIVERS
28 gmail.com tossing ENGINE BLOCKS into
29 empty OIL DRUMS ...