From: Carlos Hendson <skyclan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: System freezes during compiles
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 21:52:10
1 On Wed, 2013-03-20 at 16:14 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2013-03-20, Carlos Hendson <skyclan@×××.net> wrote:
3 >
4 > > That's by no means conclusive, however, I've also run a complete pass of
5 > > memcheck for over an hour without any issues reported.
6 >
7 > FWIW. I've had flakey memory that ran memcheck fine for several hours
8 > and multiple passes -- but if I let it run long enough, it would fail.
9 > I wouldn't be confident unless memtest ran for at least 12 hours (24
10 > would be even better).
11 >
12 > I'd also keep an eye on CPU core temperature.
13 >
14 > A failing hard-drive can also cause some pretty strange behavior. If
15 > you're drives are smart (AFAICT, all recent ones are), ask them how
16 > they're feeling with 'smartclt' or something like that.
19 I'll run a 24 hour memtest this weekend.
20
21 I started a long test on the hard drive:
22
23 smartctl -t long /dev/sda
24
25 smartctl -a /dev/sda also appears to indicate various errors (the output
26 is attached). I'll trying to track down some documentation as to what
27 they're actually reporting.
28
29 Looking at the difference between the output of smartctl for before and
30 during the test, there has been an increase in errors detected for ID
31 #195
32
33 Before test:
34 195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered 0x001a 001 001 000 Old_age Always
37 During test:
38 195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered 0x001a 001 001 000 Old_age Always
41 Could this be the cause of the stalls during compiles? If it is the
42 cause, is it possible for the kernel to detect such failures and report
43 them?
44
45 Thanks to you and everyone else for your ideas and suggestions.
46
47 Regards,
48 Carlos

smartctl_log.txt text/plain