From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about difference between emerge --update world and emerge vigra
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 20:38:41
1 On Thursday 25 September 2008 17:51:42 Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 03:27, Daniel Pielmeier
3 >
4 > <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Also make sure you have a clean world file, which means if there is an
6 > > entry which is already needed by something else it should normally be
7 > > removed as this could cause problems.
8 >
9 > I can understand that if I have both package P and dependency D in
10 > world, and I remove P then depclean will not remove D. I assume that's
11 > not what you're talking about, though, as it's harmless and probably
12 > intended (since I listed D in world).
13 >
14 > Moreover, I would think this is quite common. You might have
15 > Java/Perl/Python/Ruby/* explicitely listed in world (because you write
16 > programs/scripts) and several packages that are either
17 > Java/Perl/Python/Ruby/* based or provide bindings. I *want* to be
18 > explicit here as I don't want Java/Perl/Python/Ruby/* removed should I
19 > remove those other packages.
20 >
21 > So what kind of problems are we talking about?
22
23 Most probably the "problem" that arises is when a mere dep cannot be removed
24 by --depclean anymore because it is in world. It is a problem because of the
25 unnecessary clutter it creates.
26
27 Also, sometimes deps come and go, and libs get split into two packages. Say
28 you have libA which is a dep of some package Z. The dev sees that libA can
29 benefit from USE flags in some way and this in turn benefits package Z. So
30 libA gets split into libAa and libAb, both of which block the old libA.
31 Package Z can install libAa or libAb or both depending on USE. If the user
32 put the old libA in world (incorrectly), portage will not uninstall it to
33 replace it with the new split libA. Instead it will display the blockers,
34 which has to be resolved manually - and we all know how much mass hysteria
35 and confusion blockers seem to cause amongst users...
36
37 This of course is the exact opposite of what you describe above
40 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com