From: Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about difference between emerge --update world and emerge vigra
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 15:51:45
1 On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 03:27, Daniel Pielmeier
2 <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Also make sure you have a clean world file, which means if there is an
4 > entry which is already needed by something else it should normally be
5 > removed as this could cause problems.
6
7 I can understand that if I have both package P and dependency D in
8 world, and I remove P then depclean will not remove D. I assume that's
9 not what you're talking about, though, as it's harmless and probably
10 intended (since I listed D in world).
11
12 Moreover, I would think this is quite common. You might have
13 Java/Perl/Python/Ruby/* explicitely listed in world (because you write
14 programs/scripts) and several packages that are either
15 Java/Perl/Python/Ruby/* based or provide bindings. I *want* to be
16 explicit here as I don't want Java/Perl/Python/Ruby/* removed should I
17 remove those other packages.
18
19 So what kind of problems are we talking about?