From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chage can't open /etc/passwd
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 20:46:36
1 On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 21:48 +0200, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
2 > What does stracing the program show?
3
4 As root it does an open("/etc/passwd", O_RDONLY) twice. Both times it
5 gets a file handle.
6
7 As user, same thing, but it also tries to open /etc/shadow RDONLY and,
8 of course, gets a "Permission denied".
9
10 There is also a
11
12 write(2, "chage: PAM authentication failed"..., 33chage: PAM
13 authentication failed) = 33
14
15 But I've never seen this on my terminal when running w/o strace.
16
17 In addition, in both cases it attempts to open a bunch
18 of /usr/lib/locale/ files but most of them are "No such file or
19 directory" I'm thinking this is normal though.
20
21 It also tries to connect to /var/run/nscd/socket but fails but as I do
22 not use nscd I assume that's normal as well.
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list