From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chage can't open /etc/passwd
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:14:26
1 On Monday 17 September 2007, Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 21:48 +0200, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
3 > > What does stracing the program show?
4 >
5 > As root it does an open("/etc/passwd", O_RDONLY) twice. Both times it
6 > gets a file handle.
7 >
8 > As user, same thing, but it also tries to open /etc/shadow RDONLY and,
9 > of course, gets a "Permission denied".
10
11 This is different from what you said before. You said that running as
12 root or as an user made no difference, and in both cases you were
13 getting "can't open password file". You never mentioned a "permission
14 denied" error, which seems correct when running as a regular user.
15 On my box, running chage as a regular user fails with "permission
16 denied", but it's not related to /etc/shadow permissions. Instead
17 (looking at the strace and at the sources), chage checks the real UID of
18 the user and terminates if it's not 0 and the user requests to change
19 the info (instead of just listing it with -l). It does not even touch
20 any file.
21 So, if you see chage trying to open /etc/shadow when running as a regular
22 user, something must be broken or wrong. What version of shadow are you
23 using? Mine is shadow-4.0.18.1-r1.
24
25 > There is also a
26 >
27 > write(2, "chage: PAM authentication failed"..., 33chage: PAM
28 > authentication failed) = 33
29 >
30 > But I've never seen this on my terminal when running w/o strace.
31
32 How does your /etc/pam.d/chage look like?
33
34 Here is mine:
35
36 [Mon Sep 17 21:41:13 root@kermit ~]# cat /etc/pam.d/chage