From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chage can't open /etc/passwd
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:52:24
1 On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 23:09 +0200, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
2 > This is different from what you said before. You said that running as
3 > root or as an user made no difference, and in both cases you were
4 > getting "can't open password file".
5 > You never mentioned a "permission
6 > denied"
7
8 Permission denied is from the strace (the result of the open()). I
9 didn't mention it before because before I didn't run strace before.
10
11 Regardless of root/non-root I get "chage: can't open password file"
12
13 > error, which seems correct when running as a regular user.
14 > On my box, running chage as a regular user fails with "permission
15 > denied", but it's not related to /etc/shadow permissions. Instead
16 > (looking at the strace and at the sources), chage checks the real UID
17 > of
18 > the user and terminates if it's not 0 and the user requests to change
19 > the info (instead of just listing it with -l). It does not even touch
20 > any file.
21 > So, if you see chage trying to open /etc/shadow when running as a
22 > regular
23 > user, something must be broken or wrong. What version of shadow are
24 > you
25 > using? Mine is shadow-4.0.18.1-r1.
26
27 I'm running shadow-4.0.18.1-r1 with "pam" in set as a USE flag.
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list