From: pk <petekarl@××××××××××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Elibc & GNU userland...
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 22:23:21
1 Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 06 November 2007 21:18:30 pk wrote:
3 >> Can someone in the know explain what this means? I googled and saw that
4 >> GNU userland is related to Gentoo/BSD.
5 >
6 > Not really. Gentoo/GNU/Linux uses a GNU userland. Gentoo/*BSD uses a BSD
7 > userland..
8 >
9 >> My guess would be that the Elibc is also BSD related. I'm running a
10 >> Gentoo/GNU/Linux-system...
11 >
12 > Gentoo/GNU/Linux uses a glibc ELIBC. Gentoo/FBSD uses FreeBSD ELIBC. Other
13 > alternatives include uclibc..
14 >
15 >> Why would "sed" be emerged with -GNU and tar plus others be (+)GNU?
16 >
17 > "(-GNU%*)" means the conditional was removed from IUSE since the last time you
18 > installed the package. "(GNU%*)" means it was added to IUSE. IUSE records all
19 > conditionals that an ebuild can use.
20 >
21 > As you can read in the discussion zmedico refers to USERLAND, ELIBC, ARCH and
22 > KERNEL, however, gets treated specially, which means an ebuild can have
23 > conditionals on them without recording it in IUSE. Therefore the addition or
24 > removal of either of those variables may not change anything at all to the
25 > build which is why it's only a cosmetic change..
26
27 Ok, thank you very much for the explanation, both of you. I don't know
28 enough of the portage build system to know what all of this means so
29 I'll have to investigate further...
30
31 Best regards
32