From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Elibc & GNU userland...
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 21:26:58
1 On Tuesday 06 November 2007 21:18:30 pk wrote:
2 > Can someone in the know explain what this means? I googled and saw that
3 > GNU userland is related to Gentoo/BSD.
4
5 Not really. Gentoo/GNU/Linux uses a GNU userland. Gentoo/*BSD uses a BSD
6 userland..
7
8 > My guess would be that the Elibc is also BSD related. I'm running a
9 > Gentoo/GNU/Linux-system...
10
11 Gentoo/GNU/Linux uses a glibc ELIBC. Gentoo/FBSD uses FreeBSD ELIBC. Other
12 alternatives include uclibc..
13
14 > Why would "sed" be emerged with -GNU and tar plus others be (+)GNU?
15
16 "(-GNU%*)" means the conditional was removed from IUSE since the last time you
17 installed the package. "(GNU%*)" means it was added to IUSE. IUSE records all
18 conditionals that an ebuild can use.
19
20 As you can read in the discussion zmedico refers to USERLAND, ELIBC, ARCH and
21 KERNEL, however, gets treated specially, which means an ebuild can have
22 conditionals on them without recording it in IUSE. Therefore the addition or
23 removal of either of those variables may not change anything at all to the
24 build which is why it's only a cosmetic change..
27 Bo Andresen