From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ext3 partition dissapeared :(
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 09:48:46
1 On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 11:28:03 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > You can do this with "hdparm -z". If it reports an error, you'll need
4 > > to reboot to ensure the kernel's partition table is up to date.
5 >
6 > Ah, but I don't want to reboot to update the kernels' view of things.
7
8 Who does?
9
10 > All I want to do is run partprobe and then carry on working. It should
11 > not be necessary to reboot to do this.
12
13 Unfortunately, that's not always the case. hdparm -z sometimes allows you
14 to do this, but at least when it fails you are warned of the dangers of
15 carrying on without rebooting. Reboots are inconvenient, but data loss is
16 far worse.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 "Bother", said Pooh, as he put the message in the wrong conference