From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ext3 partition dissapeared :(
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 09:31:11
1 On Thursday 25 January 2007 11:12, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 09:54:51 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > When the
4 > > kernel boots, it reads the partition table off disk and knows that
5 > > the first partition starts at cylinder 0 and the second partition
6 > > starts at say cylinder 2000. The kernel doesn't update this
7 > > information when you run fdisk, so if you delete two partitions and
8 > > create one big one, the kernel can get confused. It's not hard to
9 > > fix on the PC, but Linux runs on 20 architectures that are not all
10 > > as crazy as Intel PCs, which might be why this oddity is still
11 > > there are 15 years. Redhat have a utility called partprobe that
12 > > gets everything back in sync after using fdisk, but I have yet to
13 > > find it in Portage
14 >
15 > You can do this with "hdparm -z". If it reports an error, you'll need
16 > to reboot to ensure the kernel's partition table is up to date.
17
18 Ah, but I don't want to reboot to update the kernels' view of things.
19 All I want to do is run partprobe and then carry on working. It should
20 not be necessary to reboot to do this.
21
22 But Google just helped me find it - partprobe is in the parted package
23
24 alan
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list