From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RFC: Implementing a spamfiltering frontend
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 13:15:30
1 On 2011-05-21, Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net> wrote:
2 > On 21/05/11 06.13, Pandu Poluan wrote:
3 >> Hello list!
4 >>
5 >> Due to the increase of spam/phishing emails received by my office, I
6 >> decided to explore the idea of implementing a spamfiltering 'frontend'
7 >> in front of my email server.
8 >>
9 >> Here's how I plan to do it:
10 >>
11 >> fetchmail (G) --> postfix (G) --> amavisd+spamassassin+database (G)
12 >> --> postfix (G) --> current email back-end (WS) --> clients (W)
13 >
14 > Having a second postfix instance between amavisd and the email server is
15 > going to make things way more complicated. Amavisd is perfectly capable
16 > of speaking smtp/lmtp by itself, so unless you need to perform complex
17 > mail routing you could directly send the filtered mail to the windows
18 > server.
19 >
20 > Other than that, I have very similar setup
21 > (fetchmail->postfix->amavis->cyrus-imap, where all hops but the first
22 > are done with lmtp) that has been working quite well for the past few years.
23 >
24 > HTH,
25 > andrea
26
27 Hmm... interesting points. But can it still do the 2nd part of the
28 equation, that is, perform outgoing routing?
29
30 I had thought that I'll need amavisd to re-inject the email to postfix
31 so that postfix can do mail routing, i.e., mails to my domain get
32 routed to the Windows server, while outgoing emails get routed to my
33 ISP's mail relay.
34
35 Of course I can have postfix to skip amavisd for outgoing emails, but
36 then I guess I'll lose amavisd's automated whitelisting (the so-called
37 'pen pal' feature).
38
39 Rgds,
40 --