From: Mike Diehl <mdiehl@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't find /dev/md3 on new install
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 20:24:32
1 On Thursday 07 October 2010 2:17:11 pm Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Thursday 07 October 2010, Mike Diehl wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > I'm building a new server, only this time, I'm using RAID1 for the boot,
6 > > swap, and root partitions. (sda and sdb)
7 > >
8 > > I've gottent the install complete, but when I reboot, fsck.ext3 says that
9 > > can't find /dev/md3, which is my root partition.
10 > >
11 > > I "borrowed" a .config file from another server where RAID1 is working,
12 > > so I know I've got RAID in the kernel. I did the prescribed mknod in
13 > > /dev/ to create the md device nodes.
14 > >
15 > > I also did the mdadm --scan --verbose > /etc/mdadm.conf.
16 > >
17 > > What could I be missing?
18 >
19 > mdadm changed default superblock version. No autoassembly anymore. You need
20 > an initrd (grrr).
21
22 I changed the partition type to 0xfd and used meta version .90. This should
23 have been good enough to avoid needing an initrd... Right?
24
25 I HATE initrd's....
29 Take care and have fun,
30 Mike Diehl.