From: Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Filesystem access to Gentoo from XP over SSH - suggestions?
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 19:21:24
1 2005/7/18, Steve [Gentoo] <gentoo_steve@×××××××.uk>:
2 > Thanks for the many suggestions... Lots of interesting ideas and
3 > different perspectives.
4 >
5 > Zac Medico wrote:
6 >
7 > >Filezilla is an ftp client that supports file transfer over ssh: http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/
10 > I'll give that a look - it's not really what I was after - while I
11 > suppose I wasn't really clear about my intentions, I really wanted
12 > FS-like access to enable me not only to edit text files, but also to use
13 > visual differencing tools etc. I'm suspecting that this wouldn't be
14 > supported using an ftp-like approach.
15 >
16 > >For remote X you should use nx (emerge nxserver-freenx) or vnc (emerge tightvnc).
19 > That's new to me - looks very interesting... I'm guessing I'd need to
20 > get this working under cygwin for my XP client... Anything which
21 > improves the performance of remote X sessions would be very useful.
22 >
23 > >To map a network drive, you should probably tunnel samba through ssh. Google for "samba tunnel putty".
26 > This is exactly what I wanted to know. I hadn't thought of googling with
27 > "putty" as I'm using OpenSSH on both client and server - but the
28 > techniques look the same.
29 >
30 > Steve
31 >
32 I'm surprised nobody mentioned WinSCP... definitely worth a try:
33
34 http://winscp.net/
35
36 And of course, it's GPLed.