From: "Steve [Gentoo]" <gentoo_steve@×××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Filesystem access to Gentoo from XP over SSH - suggestions?
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:59:53
1 Thanks for the many suggestions... Lots of interesting ideas and
2 different perspectives.
3
4 Zac Medico wrote:
5
6 >Filezilla is an ftp client that supports file transfer over ssh: http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/
9 I'll give that a look - it's not really what I was after - while I
10 suppose I wasn't really clear about my intentions, I really wanted
11 FS-like access to enable me not only to edit text files, but also to use
12 visual differencing tools etc. I'm suspecting that this wouldn't be
13 supported using an ftp-like approach.
14
15 >For remote X you should use nx (emerge nxserver-freenx) or vnc (emerge tightvnc).
18 That's new to me - looks very interesting... I'm guessing I'd need to
19 get this working under cygwin for my XP client... Anything which
20 improves the performance of remote X sessions would be very useful.
21
22 >To map a network drive, you should probably tunnel samba through ssh. Google for "samba tunnel putty".
25 This is exactly what I wanted to know. I hadn't thought of googling with
26 "putty" as I'm using OpenSSH on both client and server - but the
27 techniques look the same.
28
29 Steve
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list