From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PostgreSQL Vs MySQL @Uber
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 01:07:18
1 On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 1:31 PM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Monday, August 01, 2016 11:01:28 AM Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> Neither my employer nor the big software provider
4 >> in question is likely to attract top-notch DB talent (indeed, mine has
5 >> steadily gotten rid of anybody who knows how to do anything in Oracle
6 >> beyond creating schemas it seems,
7 >
8 > Actively? Or by simply letting the good ones go while replacing them with
9 > someone less clued up?
10
11 A bit of both. A big part of it was probably sacking anybody doing
12 anything other than creating tables (since you can't keep operating
13 without that), and outsourcing to 3rd parties and wanting
14 bottom-dollar prices.
15
16 There are accidentally some reasonably competent people in IT at my
17 company, but I don't think it is because we really are good at
18 targeting world-class talent.
21 > The problem is that the likes of Informatica (one
22 > of the leading ETL software vendors) don't actually support PostgreSQL.
23
24 Please tell me that it actually does support xml in a sane way, and it
25 is only our incompetent developers who seem to be hand-generating xml
26 files by printing strings?
27
28 I have an integration that involves Informatica, and another solution
29 that just synchronizes files from an smb share to a foreign FTP site.
30 Of course I don't have access to the share that lies in-between, so
31 when the interface breaks I get to play with two different groups to
32 try to figure out where the process died. Informatica appears to be
33 running on Unix and I get helpful questions from the maintainers about
34 what path the files are on, as if I'd have any idea where some SMB
35 share (whose path I am not told) is mounted on some Unix server I have
36 no access to.
37
38 Gotta love division of labor. Heaven forbid anybody have visibility
39 to the full picture so that the right group can be engaged on the
40 first try...
43 Rich