From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PostgreSQL Vs MySQL @Uber
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 07:03:23
1 On Monday, August 01, 2016 09:07:05 PM Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 1:31 PM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > On Monday, August 01, 2016 11:01:28 AM Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > >> Neither my employer nor the big software provider
5 > >> in question is likely to attract top-notch DB talent (indeed, mine has
6 > >> steadily gotten rid of anybody who knows how to do anything in Oracle
7 > >> beyond creating schemas it seems,
8 > >
9 > > Actively? Or by simply letting the good ones go while replacing them with
10 > > someone less clued up?
11 >
12 > A bit of both. A big part of it was probably sacking anybody doing
13 > anything other than creating tables (since you can't keep operating
14 > without that), and outsourcing to 3rd parties and wanting
15 > bottom-dollar prices.
16
17 Yes, one of the more common decisions. Often because the person hired to
18 handle the department comes from an outsourcing company or because they happen
19 to meet at the golf course.
20
21 > There are accidentally some reasonably competent people in IT at my
22 > company, but I don't think it is because we really are good at
23 > targeting world-class talent.
24
25 I wonder which companies are actually good at that?
26
27 > > The problem is that the likes of Informatica (one
28 > > of the leading ETL software vendors) don't actually support PostgreSQL.
29 >
30 > Please tell me that it actually does support xml in a sane way, and it
31 > is only our incompetent developers who seem to be hand-generating xml
32 > files by printing strings?
33
34 <OT>
35 There are actually 2 supported methods (not counting randomly sticking strings
36 together):
37
38 1) The default XML handling (source/target and transformation). This sort-of
39 works for "simple" XML files. The definition for "simple" is in the sales-
40 contract: No more then ?? levels deep, XSD less then ???MB and XML file less
41 than ???MB. I don't remember the actual numbers, but check with whoever has
42 the actual contract in your company. It should be listed there or call
43 Informatica support.
44
45 2) B2B / UDO. The UDO stands for Unstructured Data Option. Bit strange, but
46 that's where it lives. It's a proper XML handling engine that should be able
47 to handle any XML you care to throw at it. Also documents with a standardised
48 layout. It's the preferred method of handling XML files with Informatica. (Do
49 use at least 9.6.1 for this. 9.5 has a very annoying feature...
50
51 </OT>
52
53 > I have an integration that involves Informatica, and another solution
54 > that just synchronizes files from an smb share to a foreign FTP site.
55 > Of course I don't have access to the share that lies in-between, so
56 > when the interface breaks I get to play with two different groups to
57 > try to figure out where the process died. Informatica appears to be
58 > running on Unix and I get helpful questions from the maintainers about
59 > what path the files are on, as if I'd have any idea where some SMB
60 > share (whose path I am not told) is mounted on some Unix server I have
61 > no access to.
62
63 Check the session-log (from Informatica), that should contain the actual path
64 Informatica uses to write the file to.
65
66 > Gotta love division of labor. Heaven forbid anybody have visibility
67 > to the full picture so that the right group can be engaged on the
68 > first try...
69
70 I see this all too often. They usually claim it's because of security. Not
71 understanding that by obscuring all the details, the first person to get the
72 full picture is the one going to cause havoc and the people that are then
73 tasked to fix it, don't know enough to do it right in a reasonable time-frame.
76 Joost