From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] re: about the 2007.1
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 12:27:21
1 On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 22:30:24 -0600
2 »Q« wrote:
3
4 > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 13:05:18 +0000, Guanqun Lu wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > We can't expect that all the Gentoo users should be a linux geek
9 > > > first, and then have a try on Gentoo linux sytem.
10 > >
11 > > Why not? Gentoo is aimed at more experienced users, Linux novices
12 > > are already amply catered for by other distros. I would never
13 > > recommend Gentoo to a new Linux user, in the same way that I
14 > > wouldn't recommend a Ferrari to a learner driver.
15 >
16 > I was a Linux newbie when I installed Gentoo; it was the first distro
17 > I installed. It was recommended to me by a friend who said if I
18 > wanted to learn a lot as I installed it and set it up, Gentoo was a
19 > good idea. I now recommend it to newbies on the same basis. But
20 > it's only useful to them in this way /without/ the graphical
21 > installer.
22
23 I had about 9 yrs experience with Linux (first Slackware, then RedHat,
24 then Mandrake) before installing Gentoo. My goal was to get it up and
25 running with minimal aggravation so I could then find out what the
26 "Gentoo buzz" was all about.
27
28 In the fall a year ago, I bit the bullet and burned a LiveCD. The
29 graphical installer was nice but buggy. It'd ask for information then,
30 on a later screen, would need some of the same info again -- as though
31 the info had been forgotten or the screens weren't coordinated. If
32 memory serves, this happened (for example) with network configuration,
33 notably static IP addresses. Then, as loads of packages were being
34 loaded from the CD and/or updated from the network, there would be an
35 error and the installation would die in a partially completed state.
36 This happened over and over.
37
38 Some efforts were also made with the command line installer. My
39 problem there was typing and overlooking details. If I mistyped
40 something (or forgot to enter needed info) and went on to the next
41 screen, there was no way to go back and correct the mistake/oversight.
42 It was not fun.
43
44 I eventually managed to get up and running as I got far enough in one
45 of the efforts to have a bootable and usable system. Now after a year
46 of running Gentoo I'm quite pleased with it. I've also updated my
47 hardware from an AMD XP to an AMD 64 X2.
48
49 I've not yet updated to the AMD64 version of Gentoo because of the
50 painful memories of the initial installation. I must be in the class
51 of users who use Gentoo _in_ _spite_ _of_ the installation procedure.
52
53 Regards,
54
55 David