From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Solved: ABI_X86=
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2016 00:29:18
1 On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 16:59:27 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
3 >
4 >> Is there a provision (mechanism) to have this autoset, if a package
5 >> dependency call for it? The system was fine for a quite a while until I
6 >> forced it to only install 64 bit libs. What's the proper (auto) fix, as
7 >> I do not remember having to have all of these 32 bit libs before, only
8 >> a few?
9 >
10 > The --autounmask option for emerge, which is on be default, partially
11 > automates this. --autounmask-write takes it a small step further, but you
12 > still have to run etc-update to apply the changes.
15 This is about the only solution today. There has been talk of
16 implementing "lazy use flags" that would let portage implicitly change
17 USE settings when the user hasn't explicitly told it not to. (That
18 is, interpret -flag as the user intends to leave it off, and flag as
19 the user intends to set it, and if it isn't mentioned one way or the
20 other let portage just follow profile/package defaults and add
21 per-package flags when needed to satisfy dependencies.) This was
22 motivated in part by the package.use explosion caused by 32-bit libs.
23
24 However, none of this exists today.
27 Rich