From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] update world problem (looks like slot confusion on my part)
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 19:39:46
1 On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 13:33:26 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > These dependency chains can get long and complex, so best is usually to
4 > look at the whole thing and see exactly what is going on. Most often you
5 > have something in world that is keyworded, or the current version is
6 > still ~arch
7
8 Another problem with this method of switching to stable gradually is that
9 it sometimes want to downgrade a package.Say foo-1.0 is stable and
10 foo-1.1 is testing and you have ~foo-1.1 in package.accept_keywords. Then
11 foo-1.1.1 is added to ~arch and the 1.1 ebuild is removed, having never
12 been stabilised. Portage will then try to downgrade to 1.0, possibly
13 messing with your dependencies.
14
15 The moral is always look for portage trying to downgrade packages and add
16 the appropriate keyword entries when using this approach.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 Earlier, I didn't have time to finish anything. This time I w